Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sketchbook Saturday: Old self portrait with lotus

This is an old sketch, but I like the story. I did this sketch probably 13 years ago when I lived with my Mom and before I met my husband. I was always so critical of my work, and I actually threw this away. The next day my Mom fishes it out of the trash, hands it to me and says, "Why in the world would you throw this away?" So I kept it, and stuffed it in a book.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm living with my fiancee' soon to be husband in our first apartment. I find this very sketch in the book I stuffed it in and tried to throw it out yet again! What happens next you say?
He finds it in the trash and hangs it up! So now I have this sketch matted and framed in my studio. I won't throw it away again, I promise!

I'll post a brand new sketch next Saturday, ok?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

oh what a great piece and great story Cynthia!!! I am so thrilled it's framed and hanging in your studio....

Have a wonderful day!!!

Hugs
Diana

M G said...

It's amazing how self-critical we can be about our artstuffs, huh? Thank goodness for those around us who can see our work with fresh eyes. It certainly is a terrific piece. :)

Candace Trew Camling said...

pretty drawing, and it is so funny that two people pulled it out of the trash! I would frame it too, and put it where I would never forget!!
Tag you are it...check my blog.

Rick said...

I agree with your mom and hubby. Of course Moms are always right. You were pushing it when you threw it away the second time. Good thing she didn't find out?

Cynthia DiBlasi - Fine Art said...

LOL! Yes, Mom is always right. I should have listened to her the first time!

5 little greenbeans said...

Awe, i love it!!!
It was never meant for the trash!
Having it dug out TWICE, now that's proof if you ever needed it!!
At least there were no poopy diapeys on top, that's what would happen here!

Unknown said...

You know what I have to say about posting old art. So I won't. I do love this picture though.