Tuesday, January 29, 2008

IF: Tales and Legends - The Sweeper of Dreams

The Sweeper of Dreams

Let me first tell you that this drawing is not by me. My good friend Dawn drew this. Dawn is my crafting buddy. She taught me how to do a lot of cool things like knitting and sewing, and I taught her how to paint. So tonight we met up at some unnamed overpriced coffee shop to get a warm drink and catch up for an hour before our Tuesday class.
I wanted to illustrate a story from my favorite writer, Neil Gaiman. The tale is called "Sweeper of Dreams", a short but sweet story from his collection of shorts featured in the book "Smoke and Mirrors". I thought a loose gruff pencil sketch would render him perfectly. And since this is a busy week, a pencil sketch I thought is going to have to do! Unfortunately, I only have tomorrow to work on it, since I have another class Thursday and I have a full time job.
So in the meantime, here is Dawn's quick coffee shop sketch and her take on the Sweeper of Dreams. She proceeded to steal my sketchbook and blamed her inner gremlin for wanting to get her idea out. She interpreted him as the Grim Reaper with a Hoover vacuum called "Dreamsweeper 2000". I saw him as your average blue collar, reclusive old man high school janitor with an old broom. I love my Dawnie, she's such a nutjob. I'm going to get her to start an art blog. It's just a matter of time.

No comments: