Thursday, January 31, 2008

IF: Tales and Legends - Snow, Glass, Apples

Snow, Glass, Apples

Snow, Glass, Apples is short story by Neil Gaiman. A twist on the tale of Snow White with Snow White herself being the villian. The story is retold from the prospective of Snow White's stepmother, the Queen, who is also an innocent witch who dabbles in white magic. Snow White is depicted a monstorous evil child, thought to be an undead vampire. The stepmother was terrified of her and sent her men to cut out her heart and banish her to the forest after her Father died. However, she still lives. Apparently a prince saw her in her glass coffin, kissed her and woke her from her comatose state. Throughout a few years, the forest people were less and less and it was believed she was brutalizing them and killing them off. And wow, Neil really made her evil. I know, I know. . . it's horrible to take a sweet Disney character and turn her into a monster. However, the story really stuck with me, as do most of his writings. Originally I was going to do the Sweeper of Dreams, another tale from Smoke and Mirrors, but as you can see on the post below I gave it to my friend Dawn. I did this piece in one sitting with an ebony pencil since I am so limited with time this week. I don't think she looks quite evil enough. And adding vampire fangs just looked cheesy. I'm just happy I finished!

7 comments:

janie said...

I think you got across that something wasn't quite right with Miss Snowwhite without being too obvious, subtly sinister. I love the drawing and the concept.

COBOL said...

beautiful drawing

P.L. Frederick said...

Nice lighting. Black and white illustrations are nifty!

P.L. Frederick (SMALL & big)

Crystal said...

The way you implied the lighting on this is great and what a twist on the story!

Anonymous said...

hey now, I really like this one. Great lighting, and I love the choice of medium.

Unknown said...

I like it, but it could have used one little fang out of her right side (left for us). Nothing big or flashy, just a little triangle of white, one that you would have needed to look for. I know you to well to even accept "I tried". You can do it!!!!

Curious Art said...

Thanks for returning to my blog... now here I am again! I meant to tell you I'd just listened to this story on cd. Quite chilling, & you captured her perfectly!

Thanks for the tip to check out Halou. I sense many happy listening hours ahead...

And now a tip for you-- have you seen Pan's Labyrinth, I hope? If not, do so immediately! It's pretty dark, but amazingly beautiful.